U.S. Water is celebrating Smart Irrigation Month by helping growers maximize water-use efficiency. With recent drought conditions throughout the country, now more than ever, growers need to be in tune with best practices to manage their irrigation systems to ensure crops are getting the right amount of water and fertilizer, at the right time, at the right pressure.
Sponsored by the Irrigation Association, Smart Irrigation Month is a public awareness campaign to promote efficient water use. Focused on July, Smart Irrigation Month highlights effective practices and innovative technologies to:
- increase crop yield per acre.
- apply water and nutrient inputs more precisely for improved results with no waste.
- minimize runoff and topsoil erosion.
- help protect and preserve water supplies for today and the future.
U.S. Water, a leader in smart water-saving practices, is delivering real results by helping growers:
- maintain drip irrigation systems through effective water treatment programs.
- install new equipment that uses real-time weather data and soil moisture sensors to automatically adjust watering to meet crop needs.
- precisely apply water and nutrients to minimize evaporation, runoff and waste.
- qualify for government financial assistance to conserve ground and surface water and improve water quality.
- develop water quality and conservation plans, including resource condition assessment and modeling.
- audit irrigation systems to make sure water is being applied consistently.
In a recent project, U.S. Water helped a Central Valley almond grower achieve higher distribution uniformity (DU) and eliminate clogged emitters by cleaning out fouled drip lines and treating incoming irrigation water to keep them clean. Learn more about how U.S. Water can help growers.
Smart Irrigation Month is an initiative of the Irrigation Association, a nonprofit industry organization dedicated to promoting efficient irrigation.